Wednesday 2 November 2011

Make The Most Of Your Bedroom

Before I made a start on my bedroom, I'd been living in my home for


four years  . Although I knew what I wanted to do, when I moved in I


had a limited budget, so the rest of the house took priority  . But as my bedroom was the last to be done, I was able to spend


time saving up, so I could have exactly what I wanted without scrimping  . An interior designer


friend found the perfect wallpaper - when I saw it, I knew it was the one for


me and would be perfect for a feature wall . I


loved the plums, pinks and black, and the scrolling pattern with hints of gold But before I could start the transformation, I had to


get rid of some of the existing furnishings . The wardrobes no longer pulled along their track


and the mirrored fronts were bent and distorted. To get the maximum amount of


storage, I chose fitted, floor-to-ceiling cupboards to replace them ~ They were


badly in need of replacing and after considering a number of different options,


I decided to go with fitted wardrobes with mirrored fronts because they seemed


to be the best solution in terms of maximizing the space available to me. But


when I started to prepare the walls for them  , I discovered a fake wall made of


plywood and lots of cracks that needed filling in . Luckily, I managed to


patch them up so the walls didn't need re-plastering. Anything I couldn't


afford to replace, I painted to suit the scheme. When I discovered a tin of


blackboard paint in the garage during a clear out, I used it on my dressing


table. I love the matt black finish - it looks so smart and modern. Despite all


these changes to my bedroom, it still didn't quite have that boudoir feel I was


aiming for. I knew that I needed to add some special finishing touches. Then I


found the button-back velvet headboard, which looks really dramatic, and that


made a real difference.

 Inspired by boutique hotels that I'd visited,


I opted for a luxurious boudoir feel, with   loads


of   gorgeous~ ornatescented candles produced by manufacturers  including Yankee


candles
and Shearer candles.

 The old cream carpet in this room was one of my first buys when I


moved in. It was long past its best, so I pulled it up. But the old underlay


had disintegrated and dust spread throughout the house. There seemed to be one


problem after the other. Inspired by the wallpaper, which I also used to


decorate panels on the wardrobe, I want for a deep grey for the other walls and


a paler shade for the carpet - although one that would hide marks and last


longer than the cream one. The black in the wallpaper gave me the idea to go


for dark furniture.. As I began to run out of money, I shopped around at places


that suited my budget for the perfect side tables and I found this black glass


pair I really love them. I also put up framed photos that I had been collecting


for ages.  Now after four years of DIY


projects around the house, I'm so pleased that I saved up to get my dream room.
























The author is owner of The Scented Candle Store where you will find a range of beautiful candles as well as their more contemporary alternative, the reed diffuser

No comments:

Post a Comment