Thursday 13 October 2011

Decorate Your Home With Style

One of the things that I really love to do , which which has the happy knack of also helping out with  my job, is


checking out the market stands which line the street


every Saturday in my local town. I have a great time


looking out for


pleasant little pieces that can dramatically impact


upon the way your decor looks and feels. Sometimes it might be something used or vintage that catches


my eye such as vintage ceramic or glass bottles that are just perfect sat  on a ledge or


shelf in just about any room in the house you


care to mention. On other occasions


it could well be something brand new to which my attention is drawn. The market stalls are full of fantastic little finds. I usually go there with a completely open mind. I prefer not to have something in mind that Iam looking for - that way I can take my time browsing and often find myself coming home with the most unexpected things. For example I recently picked up an old watercolour picture of a rural Highland scene, complete with a grand stag. It is probably the last thing I would have imagined myself buying, but I just saw it and loved it - what can I say! As well as this kind of mad impulse buy, I


absolutely adore


aromatic candles


and just can’t seem to stop buying them. The type I like best are


those manufactured by True Grace candles and Yankee candles,


but I’m not fussy – as long as it is attractive to look at and smells good into


the bargain, then I’m happy. I live with my partner and my pet  dog. The other thing I love to do is to scent the house with a reed diffuser. However I like to make my own, preferably with a beautiful bottle I have found at the market.


Aside from 


decorating, or accessorising with the treasures


I find at the market , we have not done much major to the house, but my partner built a conservatory/breakfast room


at the back of the house about four years ago. My home


office sits directly above it and I


enjoy drawing while I gaze


out onto the garden. It’s amazing to think, though, that for years I


did all my work in the living room  . With its crimson felt walls, red and white striped sofas,


cushions, fairy lights, books, pictures, candles, photographs and


souvenirs , the


living room, can feel claustrophobic in summer.But it’s wonderfully cosy on cold Winter


nights when the rain is lashing outside . I’ve always been interested in


making homes. Designing for the home is not like fashion, where


everything changes each season. Rooms evolve gradually and it’s


important to live in them first. I like pale rooms and the rest of the


house reflects that. I’m quite finicky about the way things look.I do


not like rooms to be over- fussy or too be stuffed with furniture –


somewhere between minimilist and shabby chic is how I suppose I would


describe the style that I like.


The author is the owner of The Scented Candle Store where you will find a great selection of scented candles as well as reed diffusers

No comments:

Post a Comment